Saturday, June 7, 2008

Long and Short, Slow and Fast sets w/16kg

I've been using primarily the 16kg for my workouts lately, and let me tell you, 2 minute sets are a killer! I even been using this weight for my warm up sets, or skipping a warm up altogether, like today, I just started swinging! I like the challenge of not being able to use the 12kg, it's tough!
Saturday
7:30am KB

Work sets w/ 16kg (no warmup)

80 2 hand swings, 2 min work, 1 min rest

80 rep 1 hand swings combinations, 2 min work, 1 min rest

I alternated these 2 sets x 2 rotations = 12min., before changing the first work set because I realized 2 minute long 2 hand swings w/16 was too hard on my forearms and grip. I changed it to,

48 speed swings w/16kg, 1 min work, 1 min rest

80 rep 1 hand swing combinations, 2 min work, 1 min rest

Alternating these 2 sets 5 times = 25 min.

Total time 37 min.

I want to stay away from longer endurance type sets for another week so I decided a Max V02 style of short intense sets with short rest was the way to finish off this workout.

2 hand speed swings (12 reps), 15 sec work, 15 sec rest w/16kg 32 sets = 16 min.

Total workout 53 min.

I was only going to swing for 30 minutes this morning and do a "real" workout tomorrow, but I thought...what the heck! If I feel up to it tomorrow after yoga I think I'll do some long snatch holds w/16 0r the 12, I'll see how strong I feel!

4 comments:

themom45 said...

Tracy, I'm a little frustrated with my lower body. I have eaten clean and worked hard (swinging, and weight training) for a while now. My upper body has responded well. Lean, stronger and very toned. The lower part just keeps hanging on to the pockets of fat and cellulite. I'm 46 now and just wondered if there is any hope without a surgeons help? All those fitness books and magazines tell if you just eat clean and work hard you can have this body. Is it all a bunch of crap? Are we who we are because of our genetic makeup. Does the ratio of estrogen / testosterone facter in? Very frustrated. Are there more drugs used by people getting really fit than we are led to believe?
I follow your blog and do the workouts which are tough by the way. Have had great results in strenght, tone and definition. My lower body is most definitly in better shape just can't seem to get the pockets of cellulite and fat to budge. Any thoughts or comments welcome, please am I being realistic?
The Mom

Adam & Susan said...

Tracy,
I've been following your blog for a couple months and have been doing high volume swings and snatches in preparation for the June RKC. Thanks to your example, I had a great cardiovascular base to complete the weekend! Your story has been very inspiring and I hope to meet you at a future RKC event!
Susan

Tracy Reifkind said...

themom,

A couple of things....when you say that you've been eating clean for a while, how long is 'a while'? And since I don't know what exactly your definition of 'clean' is I can only tell you my own personal experience, which is this....

When I started my weightloss journey I just wanted to weigh less! That's all. But what I got was far more than I could of ever expected. The combination of eating healthier, cleaner foods for almost 2 years, in combination with an exercise program that included, not only KB's, but walking (alot), and eventually yoga, proved to be my formula for leaness....on my entire body, even the back of me legs! This was my personal experience.

This experience has been amazing, because, not only did I weigh as much as 250-260lbs., but I've always had cellulite my entire life, even in my teens, until now! I do consider myself to be "pear shaped", but amazed that I now have more of a "boy shape" with tiny hips and no back fat. I currently have little, to no, cellulite. If it weren't for the loose skin on my legs from my age and the huge weight loss I would post pictures.

I don't know much about the technical side of why some women find it harder to reduce fat (which is all cellulite is) on certain parts of their bodies, but Mark does, and he will write a post answering your concerns, OK?

Tracy Reifkind said...

Susan,

Super! I wish I could be at every RKC! But if you live in the area, when I do attend, end of June (26-29), Aug., and Sept, you can come and workout with me at Fawn's gym!