Saturday, May 31, 2008

Friday, heavy 2 hand swing ladder

Once again, late yoga class, stopped to eat.....forced my workout at 10:30am, but unlike the other day I felt some direction and I have a new training plan for the next 4 weeks that I'm pretty excited about.

It started with Wednesdays workout, even though I didn't want to train, I had made up my mind that I was going to focus on working with the 16kg, and touching the 12kg as little as possible. More on this training strategy later....

I walked into Girya on Thursday to train an afternoon client and Jordan was there, in the middle of his own workout, doing heavy 2 hand swings, with his Gymboss beeping every 15 sec.....I had already been thinking the same, knowing that my Friday workout was going to be a heavy 2 hand swing ladder, every 15 sec.. Here's what I did,

No warm up, I set my Gymboss for 15 sec intervals and started swinging!

Work Sets / 2 hand swings

16kg, 10 reps, 15 sec work, 15 sec rest
20kg, 10 reps, 15 sec work, 15 sec rest
24kg, 10 reps, 15 sec work, 15 sec rest

I completed this uphill ladder 10x (60/15 sec. intervals) = 15 min., and then realized that it was too boring and a little too easy to continue for the entire workout, so I increased the first part of the ladder w/16kg to 30 sec work, keeping a 15 sec rest,

16kg, 20 reps, 30 sec work, 15 sec rest
20kg, 10 reps, 15 sec work, 15 sec rest
24kg, 10 reps, 15 sec work, 15 sec rest


I completed this uphill ladder 10x (70/15 sec. intervals) = 17.5 min. Adding in an extra 10 reps w/16kg, but keeping the rest period the same 15 sec.. Making the the first set longer, but not too long, I knew I could still increase the intensity,

16kg, 40 reps, 1 min. work, 15 sec rest
20kg, 10 reps, 15 sec work, 15 sec rest
24kg, 10 reps, 15 sec work, 15 sec rest

I completed this uphill ladder only 5x (45/15 sec. intervals) = 11.25 min. That 1 min. long set w/ 16kg with only 15 sec. rest before going on to the 2 heavier sets, kicked my ass! At his point in the workout I looked at the Gymboss and saw I had 25 remaining 15 sec. intervals to round out my workout to 200 15 sec. interval = 50 min., so I went back to the first uphill ladder of 15 sec. work, 15 sec rest for the remaining 25 intervals, 6.25 min.

16kg, 10 reps, 15 sec work, 15 sec rest
20kg, 10 reps, 15 sec work, 15 sec rest
24kg, 10 reps, 15 sec work, 15 sec rest


Total workout 50 minutes

Thank God for my Gymboss, there would of been no way to keep track of these combinations of timed sets without it. Keeping it set for 15 second intervals I just kept swinging through 2 "beeps" for the second work sets, and for the third I just kept swinging through 4 "beeps".

Can you tell I'm diggin' my Gymboss lately, lol?

4 comments:

Kori Bliffert, NASM-CPT said...

Are you still going to Level 2 at the end of June? I hope you are!!!!

Jordan Vezina said...

Yeah, there's some psychological effect to the beeping of the gymboss that drives you on. It is a stern taskmaster.

Tracy Reifkind said...

kori,

I will be traveling with Mark, (but not participating), to every Cert he is scheduled to teach at (June, Aug, Sept), and there's a posiblility that Fawn and I will assist in the Fall.

Will I be seeing you?

Tracy Reifkind said...

Jordan,

I need it mostly to count sets! Too bad the Gymboss doesn't count reps, lol!

Training solo, it's a must have!