Monday, January 14, 2008

Sunday Shopping

My refrigerator was looking a little bare by the end of the weekend, that is rare, so off I went to the Farmers Market in Campbell, and then to Whole foods....here's what I brought home.

Whole Foods

2 lg cans diced organic tomatoes $4.00
1 lb ground pork $3.95
1/2 ground beef (both ground meats for chili) $2.19
2 1/2 lbs chicken necks (for soup) $2.21
2 smoked turkey thighs (1 for pea soup, 1 for freezer) $7.82
3lbs. organic yellow onions $3.99
2 green cabbages $5.42
5lbs. organic carrots $3.49
1 lb organic spinach $1.99
1 bunch organic yellow beets $1.99
2 sm organic PNB's $ .63
2 cups green peas (for soup) $1.10
2 cups pearl barley $1.13
1 organic yam $1.45
ginger $1.19
2 limes $1.18
2 organic red onion $2.09

Total $ 45.78

Farmers Market

2 bunches celery
parsley
cilantro
green onions
1 lb. mushrooms
2 dino kale
baby carrots
1 lb. cranberry beans
butternut squash

Total $ 22.50

Can you beleive all this food for less than $70! No sample tasting @ WF and I figured out a way to not "sample" @ Famers Market.....I put a piece of spearmint gum in my mouth!

All of these veggies will be used within the week. I washed and organized all of it and I even cleaned out the fridge...isn't a clean fridge just the best?

I made a pot of split pea and smoked turkey soup and then a new favorite....coconut curry chicken soup....using the chicken necks (This soup is just for me! It's very spicy and I happen to like chicken necks, especially because they're so inexpensive and the bones add alot of flavor). Both soups I made in the pressure cooker.

Coconut, Curry, and Chicken Soup

1 13.5oz can coconut milk
3-4 c. low sodium chicken broth (I used water)
2 T. curry powder
2 T. grated ginger
1-2 T. minced lemongrass
garlic (optional 1-4 cloves chopped)
jalapeno (optional...don't you know I put jalapeno in everything, LOL!)
4 chicken thighs (or whatever bone-in chicken parts you want to use! about 2lbs.)

additions

spinach (or other tender greens)
cilantro
lime

If doing in a pressure cooker, bring to full pressure, lower temp to maintain for 8 min., allow pressure to come down naturally for another 8-10 min. Season w/S&P.

If cooking conventionally in stock pot (4-6qt.)...I'm guessing....bring to a boil, turn down to med/lo until chicken is cooked through (partially covered)....15-25 min?

Hot soup will wilt spinach, sprinkle chopped cilantro and squeeze of lime...served over rice.

9 comments:

Christine said...

That's some lovely looking produce - I do envy you living in an area where there's a farmer's market in JANUARY! Oy, if only!

In the food news on my end, I have completely given up on store bought bread - we are baking our own now. I got so disgusted with the long lists of ingredients on the so called 'healthy' varieties, and most truly good-for-you breads are insanely overpriced, it made more sense to set aside one day a week to just make it! The end result is something I feel good about feeding my kids - especially little allergy boy Henry!

FitwithLizzie said...

Not an expensive shopping list at all! This food will last you a week? Is this just for you, or for you and your husband?

Tracy Reifkind said...

christine,

I could get into the 'bread making' thing, but I can't do everything! Hey...I'll bet you can skip baking cookies and sell homemade breads!

There's nothing like eating food you've prepared. I love the fact that I know every single ingredient!

Tracy Reifkind said...

elizabeth,

My Whole Foods bill rarely is over $50, including meat....most of what I buy there is veggies.

But, I did go to Trader Joes the next day and spent $75 on yogurts/nuts/dairy/teas/cereals, most of these types of foods are for Mark.

But the veggies in the picture will be eaten mostly by me!

Happiness Within said...

Tracy,

When are you going to publish your "kettlebell kookbook"? :)

Tamikka

Kori Bliffert, NASM-CPT said...

Don't you just love Whole Foods? BJ and I went there this past Christmas in TX for the first time and we couldn't believe how fresh everything was. And really we didn't pay anymore than we would in a regular grocery store. We are not use to that in good ol' Wisconsin! I think I am going to have to try that soup though!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Tamikka,

Funny you should mention a "kookbook"! I have a close friend pushing me in that direction! So maybe soon!

I'm back teaching now....no excuses...when am I going to see you in @ Girya, huh?

Tracy Reifkind said...

Kori,

Most of what Whole Foods has to offer I don't need...which is "ready made" healthier (not necessarily healthy...but healthier!) foods. They still have their share of healthy junk foods, which is what ends up being so costly!

Most people can not spend less than$50 there for a 5-7 days of groceries.

Keturah said...

Thanks for the delish recipe! I love thai food and I'm looking forward to making this soon. (Maybe this weekend?)

I haven't used a pressure cooker yet, but it's on my list of goals. My dad keep s reminiscing about the amazing short ribs my grandmother made in her pressure cooker when he was a boy.

If you have any more recipes, do share! I love them!