Saturday, February 24, 2007

Lowfat, Naturally

I'm a calorie counter, no secret! I do not count carbs, sugars or fats. When I put my food together I first chose a vegetable, then protein, then a fat and then a carb. I do not purposely keep my diet low in fats, it just happens naturally because of the foods I chose as my main meals.

For instance, if I chose a salad, I decide the veg combo ( cabbage, carrot, broccoli, etc.) and then I decide the protein, (chicken, pork, hard-boiled egg, tuna, etc.) and then a fat, (dressing w/oil, mayo,) and then if I have room for more calories, a carb, (dried fruit, fresh fruit, sometimes cold pasta, etc.).

If I chose soup, I almost always start with my base veg soup w/onion, carrot, cabbage, celery, kale. I then add my protein, and then a carb ( squash, parsnip, rice, beans, pasta, barley etc.) I don't have much fat in my soup. I rarely use any cheese and other than sauteing my veggies in 1 Tbl. of oil/butter there's no other fat. And since I almost always have soup / salad as my main meals everyday I just don't get alot of fat in my daily calories. (That's another reason why I'm so lean.)

I get fat first thing in the morning in the form of heavy cream in my coffee, 60-90 cal., sometimes I have peanut butter 100 cal., or yogurt 3g of fat = 30 cal.. So if I had to guess how many calories in fat per day, on average, I guess it would be around 400 cal./daily? Not counting high-calorie days, or days I give into mini-binges (like Thurs.!) So that's about 25% of my calories from fats, at the most.

I don't think I'm getting enough!

Since the beginning of the year I've been as tight on my diet as ever. Which is why my weight has dropped from 131 avg. to 127 avg.. But lately I think I've been feeling hungrier. Especially considering my volume of exercise. So after having a mini-binge on Thursday of peanut butter and ice cream (about 1200 calories at 11:30 in the morning) I have to give some thought to adding in more healthy fats, regularly.

So, I'll put more cream in my coffee, more oil in my dressings, and make it a point to have fattier proteins like salmon and beef. How about a big dollop of homemade guacamole on top of my chili pepper soup? Now I won't feel guilty about my peanut butter. Maybe I won't crave it as much by adding in other fats!

Fat is the fuel for my energy. Let's see how it goes!

Guacamole (makes about 1- 1 1/2 c.)

Avacado
tomato
red onion
jalapeno
garlic
lime juice
cilantro (optional)
salt & pepper

Large dice avocado (2-3), tomato (1), small dice, red onion (1/4 c.), jalapeno (1). Add crushed garlic (1 clove), chopped cilantro, squeeze lime (1-2) and taste for salt and pepper.



Wednesday AM weight 128.4 ( roasted squash, sweet potato, hard boiled eggs, and more buutternut squash all in one day, not a good combo!)
7:30 KB (short and sweet)

Menu

coffee w/cream 75 cal., cocoa 70 cal.
broccoli salad w/grapes, low cal dressing 270 cal.
tuna salad w/mayo 250 cal. (1 can tuna 150 cal. + 1 tbl. mayo 100 cal.)
small veg. soup w/spagetti squash 200 cal.
large cabbage salad w/ curry dressing, pork, and golden raisins 520 cal.
9 hershey kisses 230 cal.

Total calories 1615

Thursday AM weight 127.6
6:30am bikram yoga
7:00pm 50 min. walk

Menu

coffee w/cream, 1/2 &1/2, cocoa 210 cal.
apple 120 cal.
3 prunes 60 cal.
peanut butter, 8 Tbls.? 800 cal.
ice cream 400 cal.
broccoli salad w/tuna and grapes 410 cal.

Total calories 2420

I'm so sick of the guilty feelings after eating something I think I shouldn't. It just doesn't seem to make sense. If I'm going to chose to be out of control and keep eating, either I truly need the nutrition of some extra calories or I'm just plain out of control. Accept it, enjoy it, make peace, and get on with it. I hate wasting emotions on this guilt!

Friday AM weight 127.4
8:00 35 min. walk
9:15 bikram yoga

coffee w/cream, cocoa 120 cal.
large apple, 2 dates,2 prunes, 1/2 t. PNB, 140, 80, 40, 15 cal.
soup w/spagetti squash (5 cups of soup, 40oz.) and chicken 450 cal.
decaf coffe w/cream 45 cal,
3 prunes 60 cal.
large cabbage salad w/curry dressing and pork 500 cal.

Total calories 1470

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about kettle balls... But as a fellow health-conscious, calorie counter, I find your blog interesting. :-)

-h

Keep up the good blogging

Tracy Reifkind said...

hazel, Thanks, I appreciate your comment. As a fellow health-conscious, calorie counter, feel free to contribute anytime!

Changing your weight, as well as your health, starts with the foods you eat! Kettlebells, for me, have taken me to a fitness level that food cannot. The two go hand in hand beautifully! Tracy

sfchick said...

Hi Tracy,
I love what you said about wasting emotions on guilt. That was huge for me as well. When I eliminated the guilt (easier said than done), the binges eventually went away on their own. Now that those are under control it is much easier to focus on cleaning up my diet overall.

I love reading your blog, it is always so thought provoking!

Oh, and damn, your arms look good!!!
:)
Yael

Tracy Reifkind said...

Yael. The guilt thing has been building up and I'm sick of it!

I might write a post about it next, I'm just trying to organize what I want to say.

I can feel that letting that go could be a big relief and potential growth experience.

See you on Tues.! Tracy

PS how's your lower back?

sfchick said...

Back feels just fine, thanks :) Kept my workouts pretty short this week. Yes, I could go longer, but its still so efficient, I get a lot done in 20 minutes!